Friday 25 March 2011

Lucky lucky me

It's ridiculously hard managing my family at the best of times but when one of them is sick it is  overwhelming.

Luckily I can totally rely on my hubby to be there for me when I really need him.  He knows I only ever ask when I rooly trooly mean I NEED him.  And he knows me pretty well- we've been hanging out together for 23 years.....more than half of my life!

This week was one of those times.  And like always- he dropped his work and was home as fast as possible.  What a good friend & a fabulous papa bear he is!

Thanks for hanging out with me for the last 23 years. x
  We are on the upside of the illness now but it had really started to get me down.

And just when I was feeling the flattest I received an email from the Sydney Writer's Centre informing me that my blog had been nominated for 'Best Australian Blog 2011'.

W O W.

It blew me away.......

It came as a total surprise.

You know I love to cry and this gave the bestest excuse to let it go!

Tears of joy, shock, amazement, happiness.

It made me think about my blog & what it has come to mean to me.

It reminded me that I am coming up to my 1 year milestone.  I have had that date in my head a date to reflect upon what writing my blog gives me.

I started it after encouragement from a very special friend who has been trying to get me to do something with my cooking for years.  She suggested a blog.

At the time I laughed it off but over the next few weeks I began to look around at a few and really loved what I saw.

I loved Blog world!

I loved that each and every one was unique.

I thought it would be something I could achieve.

Somehow I thought I could squeeze writing a blog into my days of being a stay at home mum to millions.....WTF!

It must have been a day of delirious tiredness that made me think I could achieve it....but you know what.........I CAN & I DO!

Don't ask me how.....but I do.

My blog is still a work in progress and I guess that is how I like it.  I like that it evolves & unfolds.
Much like my life....twists, turns, curveballs- some good, some bad.

Primarily I write about me & for me.   There are 3 things I like to do each post though- I like to write a little, I like to share a recipe & I like to share a listening pleasure.

Since writing academic essays at Uni (which is a whole nother sort of writing) I really haven't done ANY writing.  And I don't suppose I have really ever done this kind of writing.  So I had NO IDEA what I was in for and what other people would think.

It constantly surprises me- not only that people read my blog- but that so many people seem to enjoy it.

I love to read peoples comments and thoughts on what I write - although at the end of the day if no-one reads it, it doesn't matter as I write it for me.

Being a stay at home mum is what I always envisaged for myself, what I always looked forward to being..... and I LOVE it with all my heart & consider myself VERY VERY LUCKY to be able to do it.....but along with that comes an element of isolation and a removal from individual pursuits.

What it can mean for many stay at home mums is forgetting about 'me'.

Who is the 'me' that came before being the 'mum of 5 boys'?  I'm still the same....

BUT....... writing has made this 'Mother of 5 boys' slowly re-learn to give a little bit more time back to that old 'me'.  If that is all writing the blog gives then that ain't half bad!

So as my beginner year of blogging is nearly up I want to thankyou all for dropping by & for taking the time to comment & for joining me on my journey- I hope it's a long one!

GOURMET GIRLFRIEND'S SPANISH TORTILLA:

This is a super easy, super quick & best of all SUPER DELISH recipe that someone super lovely taught my 12 yo when she stayed with us last year.  He has been cooking it since. I have added a few little extra goodies....

WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
  • 4 eggs
  • 4 kipfler potatoes (or other varieties)
  • a little sage (Italian parsley is also delicious)
  • 1 spanish onion cut into wedges
  • olive oil
  • 1 clove garlic
Whisk the eggs in a bowl.  Slice the potatoes lengthwise.

Heat the olive oil in a pan and add the onion. Cook till translucent.

 Add the potatoes. Cook till soft. Add garlic & sage.  

Now add the eggs and cover for a few minutes.
 Lay a plate (big enough to cover the entire pan) over the pan and flip onto plate. 

Slide back into pan so the other side cooks-a couple of minutes will do.


Turn it out onto a serving plate and sprinkle with roughly chopped parsley.


Until you have eaten this you cannot believe how tasty such a simple dish is.


It is lovely served alongside a crunchy green salad. ENJOY!

 Todays listening pleasure is a song that makes me cry EVERY SINGLE time....

13 comments:

  1. So glad you have finally found sometime for you and at the same time inspire others with your delicious recipes and fab/interesting musical tastes. PS. I hope you win!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darl,you made me cry!! tears are rolling down my face as I am testing my typing skills! What a glorious and beautifully written blog. I love reading about your days, trying your recipes and listening to todays music lesson. Keep up the lovely and inspiring work. miss you xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulation Ruth - you well and truly deserve it. Any woman that can care for five boys, cook amazing dinners and still have time to blog as much as you do should be absolutely applauded.

    Anyway, loved this post. I'm always interested in hearing why and how people started out blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know how you do it. You are a wonderful woman who has the ability to love with all her heart and still be true to herself.

    I know how you do it. You have the wisdom to know what is truly important.

    I know how you do it. You recognize that you cannot do everything, but what you do do, you do with in the integrity that few people can only imagine.

    I know how you do it. With a depth of character and SHINY STARRY SOUL that all who come across you love and admire.

    & you have a fully sick friend who loves your GUTS

    I rather be with you anyday.

    Love anonymous..

    ReplyDelete
  5. When you are juggling so many balls you have to have balance, otherwise some of the balls are going to fall. What is so impressive is you keep juggling with so many balls!! It is great to hear as readers of your blog just how you manage to do it - good yummy food, super papa bear, music, and you have a great clan of kids. And as others have said, your spirit shines through in your posts, which is why you get such glowing comments, (that I also love reading).
    Tortilla, also a favourite of mine, especially yummy with yesterday's roast potatoes and onions, or even yesterdays spaghetti.

    Loving your work as always,

    Greg

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh wow! it just gets better and better. What fun that you have been awarded. How clever of you, you brilliant Bunz. It's true though that it's your wonderful soul that illuminates and permeates your blog and brings it alive with your huge love of life and especially your love of all those dear to you . Go you good thing - or stop - whatever you like. glad to have you as a girlfriend - gourmet or not. but I do enjoy the gourmet too!! Jomaxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Huge congrats Gourmet Girlfriend!!! Well deserved for such an insightful and entertaining blog!! Suzy xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Ruth, what a beautiful, heartfelt post.
    You are such an inspiration to me. There are very few blogs I get time to read, and even less I comment on, but the moment I found yours I knew I had to!
    What I love the most is how YOU shine through. I feel like I know you, and I feel so grateful that you are sharing your blessed days with us, your readers. I feel like I have found a friend. And the best possible kind of friend who brings more to the table than she takes away. I now have this wonderful window to a world I didn't before. One that inspires me, one that affirms to me the wonder of being a Mother, and still being Me.

    I hope you win. You deserve it, dear one.

    I think Anonymous above has just explained why. :-)

    C xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a gorgeous post! I just found you by way of my friend Ciara, and how lovely that I did. I don't have kids, but I do have oodles and oodles of nieces and nephews that I cook for and hang out with, and I need to make them this recipe!!!

    Congratulations on your nomination from all the way over on the other side of the world! xo Gigi

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on the nomination. You write so beautifully and evocatively. And your recipes are mouthwatering!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well done! I have only recently discovered your blog, but it really is a delight....

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love tortilla - i will try your modifications.
    well done for the nomination - does that mean you get a new dress?

    xxxxK

    ReplyDelete
  13. Listen to me....(and all the other lovely comments),

    You are one of the first blogs I check on my blogreel, you are one of the people that I check on my facebook (Windsor Deli one) and you are one of the lovely people who I LOVE to see what you have done with the ingredients from the Mum and the Chef....you are AMAZING at how you juggle everything AND find time to blog, cook, look after a family and then come to visit us at the deli....to be honest....

    I am not suprised at all.

    Well done Ruth. You are a star. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou SO VERY much for making time to comment.

I LOVE to read your comments.

Just know that it totally made my day that you made a comment on my blog :)
xxx