Friday 8 July 2011

School holidays at home

I have written about our school holidays before.

About how we keep it simple.

Much like the rest of our goings on.

No scheduled activities.

No school holiday programmes.

No early wake-ups to dash off to anything.

Just taking it real real slow.

Catching our breath.

Just lazy days spent in jammies.

Playing Ping Pong.  Lots of it.  In fact too much Ping Pong is never enough in our house.

Or maybe a game of make-believe Thunderbirds.
Or a jump on the trampoline.

Today a movie beckons as we snuggle on the couch.  'Herbie rides again' is the movie of choice!

And the kids have put out a call for my spicy wedges.  It's been really really cold. My 10 yo asked if he could make them.

Of course I said "YES!!!!" So he did and they are gorgeous.

Did you know how easy they are?  I have memories of supping on them as I drank too many ales. Good beer soaking material! 

And they only take about 10 minutes prep and the rest is waiting as the lovely aroma fills your kitchen before you take them out of the oven & tuck in too soon and risk burning your mouth. 

GOURMET GIRLFRIEND'S SPICY POTATO WEDGES:

Every time I make these the spice mix is a little different. Play around a little and find a fave mix or stick to what you love.
My 10 yo chose todays mix. 
And as it cooks it smells MAGNIFICENT! I think he is on to a winner- Simple is best!
The basic method will remain the same no matter what spice mix you decide on.

WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
  • 1kg potatoes (desirees work brilliantly) cut into wedges
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
  • 3/4 cup cornflour
  • 1 heaped teaspoon smoked Spanish paprika
  • 1 heaped teaspoon ground cumin
  • ground white pepper
  • salt
METHOD:

Place all wedges into a microwave proof bowl.  Pour enough EVOO to cover wedges.
Crush garlic cloves over potatoes and stir through so spuds are coated with garlic & oil.



Cover bowl with cling wrap and microwave on high for 3-4 minutes.

Remove from microwave.

Mix together cornflour &  spices.



Transfer to an oven proof dish- preferably so all wedges lay flat.

Dust spiced cornflour over potatoes evenly.

Grind a good amount of salt over spuds and place in 200C oven for 25 minutes or until spuds look brown and crispy.

Remove from oven and serve with sweet chilli sauce and sour cream- or just as they come.

My kids love them as a side dish to accompany roast meats,  steak, ratatouille.....or just as they come!

Today I doused some chicken wings with the same mix and baked them alongside the spuds.  The chook comes out a little like fried chicken without the fried part.....crunchy and yumolicious.

Chicken & chips! YUM!!
And I am attaching a great little doco about one of my fave bands. We have been playing their music on high rotation this week. A jazz group from London-  Portico Quartet. Very talented young musicians......

4 comments:

  1. I am off to buy chicken wings amd some more spuds! Ooo and thanks for reminding me anout the lovely Portico quartet! X

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm popping over for lunch! lovelies with lovelies galore.xxxxJoma

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM! I don't often use chicken wings, but I think this may change my tune!
    As for your holidays... that's just the way I like ours too... simple, slow, relaxing.
    I'm off to make one of our family faves now, rosemary chilli pizza xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds just about perfect. Both the slowing down, and those delicious spuds! Even though it's summer here, I just know there will be plenty of days when they are called for here. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou SO VERY much for making time to comment.

I LOVE to read your comments.

Just know that it totally made my day that you made a comment on my blog :)
xxx