Sunday 21 April 2013

Farmers Fayre


Those of you who have been reading here for a while know of my food buying philosophy.

I like to be mindful of the choices we make as a family in all areas of how we live.

Food is another of those.

I like to buy direct from the Farmer where I possibly can.

We go the our local Farmers markets as a family and decide together what we would like on the menu based on what food we see & like.

I have talked about it a lot before.  Here is an old post you may wish to read about the joy of shopping at Farmers Markets.

We are not menu planners but we buy seasonally and locally and go from there.

I love that my kids know the Farmers whose meat we buy.  It makes the food cycle more real, more meaningful.

My kids understand that the food we love to eat, that is brought to us, is done so by people who also have mortgages to service, kids to feed, to school, to clothe.

They understand the process of growth, slaughter and butchery.

We see that & it has more meaning to us every single time we eat the food we are so lucky to have at our table.

We are suburban big city dwellers but we have a real connection to the people far and wide who live their lives the way they do so that we can enjoy the fruits of their labour.

These people drive thousands of kilometres to various markets & restaurants to provide their product to us.

It feels like a small thing for me to travel to the various markets they attend to support them.

GOURMET GIRLFRIEND'S CORNED BEEF HASH CAKES:
Last week we bought a Corned Girello (amongst other loveliness) from Lizette of Warialda Beef  at the Collingwood Farmers Markets.
Weekends are a big deal at our place.  Time to take it slow. Eat a family meal at every opprotunity. 
Breakfast is probably my favourite.
This week we had a delicious  Corned beef earlier in the week and I made this with the leftovers for breakfast this morning.
A kind of medley of a traditional Corned hash and a Potato Rosti.
Males about 8 fritters.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:

  • 4 x 1cm thick slices corned beef, cut into small cubes or torn apart into small pieces.
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 heaped tablespoons seeded Mustard
  • 1/2 bunch Italian parsley, coarsely chopped 
  • 4 large potatoes
  • S & P
  • oil for  frying
METHOD:
Grate the spuds and squeeze as much liquid as you can out of them.

Place in a large bowl and add all other ingredients and mix well.

Add some oil in to a large non stick frypan.

Pop about a handful of the mix into the frypan for each fritter.  I only fry 3 at a time so as not to crowd the pan.

Fry on a medium/high heat till brown (about 5 mins per side) .

Serve while HOT!

Beautiful Sunday morning breakfast table music........ 

4 comments:

  1. Margaret Fraser21 April 2013 at 11:45

    Love a farmers market. Went to fairfield farmers market yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always inspiring Ruth. Unfortunately I have found Perth to be seriously lacking in good farmers markets but it doesn't stop me seeking & searching- it's part of the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been totally digging your breakfast pictures on Instagram lately, makes my porridge kind of pale in comparison! I share your food philosophy and am really enjoying to watch my daughter interact with the stall holders at our local growers markets every Saturday. It's very rewarding to be a part of the their education in this way. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your food philosophy and hopefully more and more people will become more mindful! www.jacqfruit.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou SO VERY much for making time to comment.

I LOVE to read your comments.

Just know that it totally made my day that you made a comment on my blog :)
xxx