Monday 31 December 2012

I can see the Glowing Heart of the World


New Years is upon us.

It heralds a time of reflection.

A time where we think about what has been before & about what lays ahead.

I have never really done the New Years Resolution thing.  I guess I like to feel as though I can make changes anytime for myself that might help improve things for me & my family. If I think changes need to be made, I don't want to be waiting a whole year to implement them.
And I like to think I am reflective about those things more than once a year.

Nonetheless it can also provide an opportunity to shut the door on things that may have been upsetting or disappointing & provide an opportunity to look firmly ahead at what can be.

That is my way.

I try really hard not to get stuck on what has been. We have had some truly sad & hard times at Chez GG in the past few years.  But I have always been a 'finding the positive' kind of gal. There were some times in there where finding the positive in amongst all the darkness felt impossible.

Bad & sad stuff happens to lots of people.  Cripplingly bad sometimes.  But something I have learnt to really grab hold of is that LOVE & HOPE are what can drive us on.  People all around the world do the same.
Out there in amongst it all there are truly amazing people who despite adversity make their lives amazing & positive and just keep on keeping on.
These people inspire me every day. They inspire me to be thankful for what I have & give me the hope I need to keep going.

After a fair bit of one foot in front of the other and not feeling as though I could make a plan beyond that I feel as though I may just be there.
I can see further into the future beyond the fog.

I feel as though I am looking into the glowing heart of the world.  And I like it a lot.

It feels good.  It feels freeing.  It feels exciting.

I have made some plans for GG that have been chatted about with Mr Girlfriend.

I am so thankful to be holding hands in life with him.

Hopefully you too will see these plans come to fruition this year.

I am very thankful for all of your support  here or over on my FB page or on Instagram.

The community here is a wonderful positive thing in my life and for that I thank YOU.

May 2013 be full of love & hope for you too.

GOURMET GIRLFRIEND'S BEETROOT GRAVLAX SALMON:
Every Christmas on our table is Gravlax- or Gravad Lax as the Swedes call it.
It is a Scandinavian method of curing Salmon. 
It is one of the traditions our family brought back from out time living in Sweden.
This year one of my brothers posted a pic of Beetroot cured Gravlax -and so I asled him immediately for his recipe.
This is it!
Super easy, super pretty & SUPER delicious.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:

  • 1 side of salmon (you can do this with smaller pieces if you wish)
  • 1 fresh beetroot, grated finely
  • 1 cup of salt
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 tblspoon Cumin seeds
METHOD:
Mix together the salt, sugar, beetroot & Cumin & now rub well into the Salmon on both sides.
Place in the fridge for 2 days or at least 30 hours.

Remove the Salmon from the briney solution and rinse.


Pat dry with paper towel and slice very finely.
It goes very well with eggs. YUM

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful post, GG.

    Like you, we have had some very sad years recently. Things that have changed our family forever, leaving
    deep imprints on our lives that will always be tender.

    But with time and processing of our new companion, grief, we are getting there. I'm so hoping that the new year
    brings acceptance and a true embracing of what now is, and what can be.

    Gravlax was my Christmas contribution to our family table this year. There was something about the salt and sugar
    rubbing and the time needed to cure that was symbolic of our recent journey.

    Thanks again for your beautiful posts and recipes. You are an inspiration to many and I hope that 2013 brings you
    more than you can even dream possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, I like the glowing heart of the world. It IS feel good. I like you in your sidebar too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy 2013! Love the use of beetroot here - gives such a lovely purply-pink tinge, and I imagine, an equally gorgeous flavour.

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou SO VERY much for making time to comment.

I LOVE to read your comments.

Just know that it totally made my day that you made a comment on my blog :)
xxx