Friday 4 January 2013

Summer daze




We are:
  • waking late
  • often skipping lunch
  • eating dinner early
  • reading books given for xmas
  • playing with lego
  • having friends over
  • preparing for a holiday to NZ
  • enjoying the summer veggie patch
We are not:
  • watching the clock
  • aware what day it is
  • in any routine
  • getting out of pyjamas
  • in a hurry for it to end
Oh how I love the daze of Summer holidays.

GOURMET GIRLFRIEND'S DILL & MUSTARD SAUCE (for GRAVLAX):
I have grown the most gorgoeus Dill this spring/summer.
I haven't had success before really. 
It is the prettiest of plants, so fine & feathery and delicate. Mine is just about to flower- exploding it's fronds of yellow fireworks. So gorgeous.

Mr Girlfriend has never really been a fan. Me, I LOVE the stuff.
He is slowly coming around......
This sauce is the PERFECT (and very traditional) accompaniment to the Gravlax from the previous recipe- go here for that.
Often the sauce is a more yellow colour but I like the green against the Salmon so I blitz the sugar and dill together before adding the other ingredients to bring out the lovely green.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:

  • 1 cup of Fresh dill
  • 1 tblspoon Sugar
  • 1 tblspn Sweet mustard (American or Swedish)
  • 1 heaped teaspoon Dijon mustard
  • 1 tblspn white vinegar
  • pinch of salt
  •  100ml rice bran oil (or other flavourless oil) 
METHOD:
Blitz the sugar & dill together.
Now add all other ingredients except the oil & combine.

Once combined add the oil slowly (like you do with mayonnaise) - you can do this in a food processor or with a whisk.

Once it starts to emulsify (thicken) you can start adding the oil in a stream until all added.

Serve over your fresh Gravlax.

Gravlax with a Poached egg & Dill Mustard Sauce ~ Breakfast Perfection

The mellifluous sounds of Calexico & Sam Beam.

5 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, YUM! I love dill. I can't wait to try this sauce. My husb isn't a fan of herbs (craziness I tell you) so I will probably get to enjoy the whole lot myself.

    Isn't summer marvellous!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, that first photo!!
    Our sunflowers are yet to show their pretty faces.
    I can't wait.
    And when are you all off to NZ?
    How exciting!
    Biggest love to you gorgeous girlfriend.
    Long let the summerness continue. xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alas, the dogs have destroyed my dill!...and a handful of other herbs in the patch! I had big pickling plans for the dill.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have one more week before I have to go back to work & I have been loving the holidays!! I love the lack of routine & the fact we don't have to rush round....aaahhh summer holidays are the best aren't they?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I especially love the pics on this post! Your blue fence still makes me happy. ^_^

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou SO VERY much for making time to comment.

I LOVE to read your comments.

Just know that it totally made my day that you made a comment on my blog :)
xxx