Tuesday 29 April 2014

Things I am enjoying : April 2014 edition



  • I have finally been lured down the Pinterest rabbit-hole.I think I stayed away as I just knew I would it would be a visual minefield of awesome.
    I was right, it is just that,  but down I went anyway fashionably late to the party...... Such a rebel.
    You can find my boards here ~  http://www.pinterest.com/ruthbruten
  • Slow chats over coffee & Corn fritters with lovely friends.
  • Eating zingy & fresh Asian style salads
  • Listening to my kids playing music in the studio.
  • Looking through this amazingly gorgeous Swedish website 
  • Looking at all my Winter veggies thriving.
  • Wearing tights again now the cool mornings have hit Melbourne. YAY.
  • Running every day again after an illness related break. Far out the hard work gets undone quickly.....

    What are you enjoying?
    xx
    GG

RED LENTIL & KALE DHAL & EASY CHICKPEA DOSA: 
Weekends mean slow breakfast times in our house.
We have no commitments on the weekends except to each other and so we take it really slow, enjoying being able to chat with no hurry at all. The BEST.
I love to cook special breakfasts. For me they are most enjoyable mealtimes of the weekend.
It somehow is a celebration of the slowing down, the ability to linger over the table with each other knowing there is no place to be.
The breaking of the fast.
Worth celebrating indeed!
I love eating super scrumptious savoury style breakfasts - especially curry.
I can eat curry anytime but I do especially love a veggie curry for brekky.
Here is one of the ones we had over the weekend.
This would also make a delicious dinner.


WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
  • 1cup red lentils
  • 1 onion, chopped fine
  • 4 cloves garlic, chopped fine
  • 1 inch ginger, chopped fine
  • 1tsp nigella seeds
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds
  • 12 curry leaves
  • 2tsp brown mustard seeds
  • 1 red chilli, chopped fine, seeds removed if you want to reduce heat
  • 1/2 tsp coriander powder
  • 1/2 tsp turmeric
  • 4 cups chicken/veggie stock
  • 5 leaves tuscan kale
  • 2 tblspoons ghee for frying (substitute half oil, half butter if you don't have ghee)
  • salt
  • 1 cup besan (chickpea flour)
  • 1 cup atta wholemeal flour (substitute with regular plain flour)
  • 1/4/ teaspoon bi-carb soda
  • water to make batter
  • rice bran oil for frying
  • fresh coriander
  • lemon wedges 
METHOD:
(for the dhal)
Heat the ghee in a heavy based pan.
Add onion and fry gently till browning, add ginger and garlic and fry till fragrant.
Add chilli, spices and curry leaves and stir cooking for a couple of minutes to help release the flavours.

Now add the kale and fry a minute before adding lentils and stock.

Bring to boil and reduce heat. Simmer for half an hour.

(for the Dosa)
While the lentils are cooking make the batter for the Chickpea dosa by mixing the flours, a pinch of salt, bicarb & enough cold water to make a fairly runny pancake style batter.

You can some add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and fresh chopped coriander if you wish to bump up the flavour- I added all three on the weekend and they were SCRUMPTIOUS!

Heat 2tspns oil in a non stick pan and pour a ladleful of batter into the pan.
Tilt pan to make a large and thing circle of batter.
Flip when bubbles remain.
Cook as many as you require.

Serve each person a Dosa topped with some Dhal, sprinkled with Fresh Coriander, some Lime Pickle and a wedge of lemon to squeeze over.
Enjoy!
xx
GG 


6 comments:

  1. A Pinterest board of polka dots? Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pinterest is so much fun! I love it!


    As for what I'm loving....Perth has finally cooled down HOORAY! Learning a new crochet pattern. Knowing that very soon I will be having a baby & our family will be complete. I'm super excited about that! Also I really love that photos above ^^^ it makes me want to try & make dosa :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was just wondering what to make when my vegan, gluten free sister comes for dinner this weekend... thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pinterest black hole will surely suck you away. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ruth, This sounds delicious and is on the menu for our dinner tonight. I love that you have no commitments on the weekend and enjoy slow breakfasts together. I wonder if you have had to work hard to keep it like this? We also enjoy commitment free weekends at the moment and love our weekend breakfasts together however my boys are a bit younger (8, 4 & 2) and the eldest if keen to start Saturday morning football next year. I'm dreading it! but also see the value of team sports and keeping active etc. Love to know how you have stayed commitment free on the weekend with 5 boys :-).
    An

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou SO VERY much for making time to comment.

I LOVE to read your comments.

Just know that it totally made my day that you made a comment on my blog :)
xxx