Tuesday 30 June 2015

FRIDA SAUCE

Have you guys heard of Green Goddess dressing?
It's one of those food things that does the rounds every now and then.
A really moreish & versatile dressing that is a bit like a mix of Salsa Verde & mayonnaise & Sour Cream.
You can read more about it here.

I had one of those lovely school holiday days yesterday where the lads & I were busy doing fun activities and totally lost track of time.
You can have a look at what we were up to here. SO FUN!

but all of a sudden it was 6 and I had 5 hungry lads wanting dinner.
AAAAARGH!
Luckily over the weekend we had a large Mexican feast to feed one of our lads and his friends to celebrate his birthday, so I had a fridge filled with delicious Mexican leftovers.
I like to transform the leftovers into something different so we don't just eat the same thing over & over.

I used inspiration from Green Goddess dressing to invent a Mexican flavoured one.
We ended up having delicious zingy Nachos using the leftover pulled pork & the Corn & toasted almond salad spread through delicious Organic unflavoured Corn chips which I drizzled with the sauce I invented.

I named the sauce after everyone's favourite Mexican Goddess- FRIDA KAHLO- of course!
It will keep for up to 3 days in the fridge after making and can be used for all manner of things- on Potato salads, drizzled on iceberg, on Sweet Potato fries, on top of Nachos, over Tacos, over gilled fish - ENDLESS possibilities........

FRIDA SAUCE:
I used the Green Goddess sauce as inspiration- however I wanted to omit the mayonnaise component and so I substituted that with a whole avocado and added some of my Taco seasoning for flavouring.
If you are vego you can easily omit the anchovies- you may need to add a bit of extra salt. 


WHAT YOU WILL NEED:

  • 1 ripe avocado
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1 heaped teaspoon of Taco seasoning 
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 2 red chillies
  • juice of 2 lemons
  • 3 anchovies
  • 1 bunch of well washed coriander (roots and all!) 
METHOD:
Place all ingredients into a food processor and blitz to a paste.
Check seasoning and add S & P if necessary.
Place in an airtight jar. Will keep in fridge for up to 3 days.






4 comments:

  1. I love that sound of this sauce Ruth althought it may have to wait as avo's are not great round my parts right now :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. it won't be long! We are just at the beginning of our Avocado season now. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cannot wait to get home and make me some Mexican and incorporate thus sauce and those fabulous looking sweet potato crinkly chips. Genius GG!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great post, thanks my friend.


    BTW... check out those cool birthday wishes for girlfriend.. http://bit.ly/1vYf1oS

    Peace fam.

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou SO VERY much for making time to comment.

I LOVE to read your comments.

Just know that it totally made my day that you made a comment on my blog :)
xxx