Thursday 31 March 2011

I Need a holiday!

If you are a regular reader you will know that our family is soon to head off on our Tasmanian adventure.

In the lead up to this trip we have had one child with pneumonia, one with bronchitis, a small scare with another (turned out to be nothing....PHEW!) and now I have been hit by the same bug that gave one of my children pneumonia....guess it was only a matter of time.

Despite pretty strong antibiotics I am struggling to kick the bronchitis mixed in with a little sinusitis for good measure.

It has left me sleepless with coughing most nights, sent hubby looking for other beds in the night because he can't sleep from my coughing either and then leaving us both tired and sleep deprived the following days.

What F U N....not.

And did I say that cooking SUCKS when you don't have a sense of smell or taste??!!

Luckily for the family I have managed to still serve up edible fare this last week......or perhaps they have just been uber polite!

Preparing for holidays for a family of 7 at any time is pretty hard work and requires super organisation.

Generally I am on top of this & manage just fine.

This time.......well this time I am not doing so well and I am so tired that I am struggling to think straight about what we need, let alone find the energy to do anything about it on top of all the other day to day jobs.

We made the major change from this being a fabulous camping adventure to swinging totally the other way and swapping the camping trailer for divine beachside accommodation in several AMAZOID locations in Tasmania
I am pretty sure this will be where I recover.....looks terrible doesn't it!
The idea of camping in the rain & cold was not causing too much excitement for me with our family's level of illness.

And now we are taking an empty trailer to fill with all the stuff that we have to buy in tasmania because I will have forgotten to pack it!
As long as I remember to pack all the kids!

Jeez.......I need to be on my game to make this family work & sometimes,  just sometimes I let it all go.

Thank buddha for that cause I certainly am not a subscriber of the 'being perfect all the time' model of mumma.  'Much less than perfect' is my model & I am happy with it and happy to take it on the holiday I am taking to recover from the preparation!

GOURMET GIRLFRIEND'S ROAST PUMPKIN FRITTATA


This is a recipe request that one of my followers asked for on my Facebook page (please feel free to make requests- I can't promise I can do them all but I LOVE to try!).
You can click here to go to my Facebook page & click 'like' to get GG posts in your facebook feed. 

WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
7 eggs (free range Organic)
1/2 cup grated parmigiano reggiano
1/ cup goats cheese (cut into 2cm cubes)
1 cup baby spinach
thyme
1/2 butternut pumpkin (cut into 3cm cubes)
EVOO
white pepper
salt
1/4 cup of cream
finely shaved parmigiano for top of frittata


METHOD:
Cut pumpkin & drizzle with EVOO, salt and thyme. Roast at 170C in a 20cm square ovewn dish for 40 minutes or until brown.


Whisk eggs, cream & grated parmigiano till combined.


Remove cooked pumpkin from oven and let cool in dish.


To the same dish scatter the spinach & goats cheese.


Now pour the egg mixture over the top. Feel free to use your hands to ensure the ingredients are even.


Now shave extra parmigiano over the top and place back in oven for 35 minutes or until brown.


Remove and let cool slightly before serving.


This frittata is also GORGEOUS served cold- fabulous for a picnic basket!


My listening pleasure today is all about not being perfect! The clip is DIVINE. Enjoy and see you all on the flipside of my holiday! MWAH!

5 comments:

  1. I love it: " I have a cold/ the kids have a cold, so we cant camp or perhaps we have forgotten something - i know, let's get a trailer!!" I'm gonna try that tonight!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps; hope you and the family fully recuperate before / during your trip; and fill up the trailer with goodies.
    Greg xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boo hiss to feeling shite just before you head off on your excellent adventure. May I just say, that is one helluva SCHMANCY trailer you have there! Plenty of room for lots of Taswegian stuff.
    Your current dilemna reminds me of one of my all-time favourite quotes...
    "wanna make God laugh?...tell him your plans"
    Hope you get better ASAP x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha Feisty.....maybe, just maybe that explains all the rain & flooding we have been having in Australia....God has been pissing himself at my plans! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, you poor thing. Hope you recover quickly and enjoy a most splendid holiday in this stunning house! Love the frittata - will definitely try this one out. Salivating already. Eva xx

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou SO VERY much for making time to comment.

I LOVE to read your comments.

Just know that it totally made my day that you made a comment on my blog :)
xxx