Tuesday 13 September 2011

A Little box of TRUST

When one of my lovelies started school they were given a very special box by the teacher.

Inside it was 7 objects.

All represented something bigger than what it was......much much bigger.

This little box was full of love.

The teacher had armed each and every child in her class with something very special by giving them each this little box.

It was the ability to trust.

To trust her.

To trust their classmates.

But best and most importantly of all...

To trust themselves.

My VERY helpful 2yo was taking apart my diary from that year the other day and the copy I had written for myself of her note fell out.

When I read it I had tears.

It's message and values so strong and pertinent.

It's message valuable for all of us at every stage in life.

It resonated with me so strongly.

I might just pack myself a little box of objects like that and keep it in my bag ALWAYS.

Learning to really TRUST myself is something that is still very hard for me.  I could do with the help of that little box I think.

Here is what the note said....

The ERASER us to remind you that everyone makes mistakes and that is ok.


The STAR is to remind you to shine & always try your best.


The TISSUE is to remind you to dry someone else's tears.


The BAND-AID is to heal your hurt feelings in your friends and in yourself.


The TOOTHPICK is to remind you to pick out the good qualities in your classmates.


The MOVABLE eye is to keep an eye out for each other.


The LIFE SAVER is to remind you that you can come to me if you need someone to talk to.

GOURMET GIRLFRIEND'S CHICKPEA & SPINACH TAPAS:
I love Chickpeas (I LOVE spinach too) and I often resort to using good quality tinned ones but you will get a superior dish if you have the time to prepare dried ones.
This is delicious served as Tapas with cold beer or as a side dish to any Tagine. My son took it to school and ate it cold for lunch. 
It would also make a DELICIOUS filling for my stuffed Paratha! (recipe here)

WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
  • 250g chickpeas, soaked overnight  drained and then cooked in fresh water for 1-2 hours until soft. (or substitute with 2x400g cans)
  • 5 tblspns EVOO
  • 500g spinach, rinsed well and chopped
  • 5 slices of bread, crusts removed and cut into small cubes
  • 1 heaped teaspoon cumin seeds
  • a small handful of fresh Oregano (mine is going nuts in the garden at the moment!)
  • 2 tblspoons Red wine vinegar
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 1/2 teaspoon Spanish smoked Paprika
  • pinch of Saffron threads 
  • S & P

METHOD:
Infuse saffron threads in about 3 tablespoons of boiling water to release the flavour & colour.Let it sit on the bench to infuse until you need it.


In a pan add 1/2 and add cubed bread. Cook till brown all over.

Remove bread and set aside. 
Add the rest of the EVOO  and add garlic, cumin seeds, smoked Paprika & spinach.
Add the chickpeas, Oregano and Red Wine vinegar and Saffron (and it's liquid!).
Cook through for about 5 minutes while stirring. Lastly crumble the croutons a little and add just before serving so they retain their crunch.
Season with S & P.

Serve and enjoy!

Who doesn't love the Big O?! Well here is a rendition of his masterpiece-Blue Bayou by two artists I love. M.Ward & Norah Jones.






5 comments:

  1. Wow - I love that box of trust - what a special teacher. And my palate is liking the idea of your chickpea recipe too - I love things with chick peas - but what is EVOO?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, love that teacher! That's very special and makes me want to make a box for my little ones too. As for the recipe, drool! Chickpeas and spinach are two of the first three ingredients... you had me at hello :) Can't wait to make this x

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is such a sweet, worthy and empowering thing for a teacher to do! I am an early childhood teacher and it has never occurred to me to give my students such a visual and kinaesthetic reminder of why I am there for them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing teacher - such a beautiful, thoughtful note.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the recipe, we've had a similar tapas dish at Movida, and loved it. Loved the song too, we love Norah, Come away with me is a very nostalgic album for us!

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou SO VERY much for making time to comment.

I LOVE to read your comments.

Just know that it totally made my day that you made a comment on my blog :)
xxx