Thursday 14 February 2013

On being open minded


The other day Mr Girlfriend and I had a long and super interesting conversation with our two eldest boys regarding the subject of open-mindedness.

I love listening to my kids ideas.

I love how they articulate their thoughts.

We haven't turned on the TV in weeks.

It is not missed.

Our 12yo in amongst the conversation talked of how he thinks as we get older we get less open minded and more dogmatic in our beliefs.

He went on to say that kids seem to be more curious and wanted to find out different ways whereas older people didn't and tended to just believe one thing.

I think I agree with him.

Do you?

We showed him this video- an old favourite of mine and Mr Girlfriend. It is really worth watching.



GOURMET GIRLFRIEND'S SUPER QUICK 5 minute VEGO SOBA NOODLES:
I could totally live on Noodles alone.
This is a super quick & super yum dish that is great for a quick lunch or an equally delish dinner.
It is yummy hot or served cold as a salad.
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:

  • soba noodles ( I tend to always have dried soba in the pantry just in case of a Noodle emergency!) 
  • 1 carrot, julienned fine
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 100g sliced wombok cabbage (normal cabbage will do- or any other greens you like!)
  • 200 g firm tofu
  • 1 inch ginger, julienned fine
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon sesame oil
  • spring onion, sliced fine
  • handful fresh coriander leaves, chopped
  • black sesame seeds
  • chilli (optional)
METHOD:
Prepare Soba noodles as per packet. (while the soba are cooking you can do the frying bit and the noodles should be ready to mix in)

Add the sesame oil to a non stick fry pan on medium heat.
Fry the carrots, wombok, garlic and ginger.
Once just wilted add tofu and take off the heat.

Drain noodles and add to stir fry mix.


Mix well and add the spring onion and coriander (and chilli if using).

Serve into bowls and sprinkle with sesame seeds.



Happy Valentines day Lovers....grab your loved one and dance a jig in the kitchen to this (and just quietly...Imagine being sooooo talented at just NINETEEN years of age!!!)~





6 comments:

  1. beautiful on all levels, recipe, clip and 12yo wisdom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome Ruth, music is amazing as always x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did not even realize that you had a new blog post today, I was clicking over in search of some inspiration, but I will def be making these soba noodles as soon as I can eat them again ( stupid bloody gestational diabetes stopping me from eating all my fave foods!). Any time I read what you have written about your kids I am just in awe of what amazing people these boys are & of your parenting skills but I'll be honest & say sometimes it makes me look at my own parenting skills & wonder if I am doing all I can. Don't get me wrong, my boys are good kids but sometimes I worry( especially about my eldest)that I am not doing enough to help shape them into the people I know they could be.......
    Now back to looking through your recipes for some inspiration xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Reannon. I never ever want people to feel as if they are not doing all they should when they read my blog.
      I know from all you have told me that you do a super doop job!
      My family are all super deep thinkers & we talk A LOT about stuff. It doesn't mean we are better people or better parents.
      HUGS to you lady- and super news of a new Baby on the way!!!!- not so much about the gestational diabetes! Go easy on yourself ok. xxxx

      Delete
    2. Thanks Ruth.It's not you, you are so inspiring! It's one of the main reasons I come here to your blog ( along with the recipes of course) because I love reading how you live your life & it sparks ideas in my head about how I can do/see things differently.It's all my own doing these crazy thoughts. It's a huge problem I have- never thinking I am enough, doing enough, not being able to see the things I do well & instead focusing on the things I perceive as my short comings. It's something I need to continue to work on.
      Thanks for getting back to me & the kind words. You=awesome xx

      Delete
  4. Beautiful post. As a fairly new primary school teacher, that video speaks loud and clear to me. Too often, our current school system fails our children, mainly because of society's perception of what school should look like. I hope that one day, I will be lucky enough to raise children who are creative, problem solvers and thinking. Love following along on your journey :)

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou SO VERY much for making time to comment.

I LOVE to read your comments.

Just know that it totally made my day that you made a comment on my blog :)
xxx