Monday 25 February 2013

This week will look a little like this....



  •  The builders are here and are starting our addition. OMG! *faints*.
  •  We wave our 12yo off to camp for the week.
  • I will start making PomPoms to make this
  • my parents are coming over to play~ they live in Adelaide so we don't get to play very often.
  • I continue to help my littlest settle into kindy~ so far not so good :(
  • I will continue with my Clogger to Jogger journey & slowly upping the distance I am running.
  • I will pay bills and more bills
  • I will hide from Melbourne's heat- enough already with the hotness ok?!
  • I will start sanding some old chairs I have and painting them in different bright colours & reupholstering them for the dining table in the new space.
  • I will be measuring up and making a plan
GOURMET GIRLFRIEND's SPINACH, FETTA & CUMIN SEED GOZLEME:
I am super happy to be seeing the burgeoning REAL Fast food scene in Australia.
By this I mean that there seems to be more and more ways to find real food without the preservatives and sugar and fat, that is fast & readily available.
Taco trucks, dumpling houses, noodle bars & the one that I am seeing lots of- Gozleme stands. 

There is often one at the Farmer's Markets.
I LOVE them & often buy one as a snack when we are there. 
I haven't made them before but I had a wee bit of leftover Pizza dough from Friday night pizza and had wrapped it and put it in the fridge.
This recipe was an experiment using the pizza dough as the pastry. It worked well- I am sure it is not entirely authentic but is a good substitute and a great way to use leftovers.

They weren't super pretty - I made them fast (it took about 20 minutes from beginning to end)! but sheesh they tasted SOOOO great.

WHAT YOU WILL NEED:

  • 1 pack Organic frozen spinach
  •  200g pizza dough  (my pizza dough recipe is here)
  • 100g fetta cheese
  • 1/2 spanish onion (or shallot) chopped fine
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 2 spring onions
  • a good handful fresh coriander
  •  a good handful fresh mint
  • 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
  • S & P
  • EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
METHOD:
Roll out the pizza dough as finely as possible- mine was paper thin (my favourite Gozleme have super fine pastry) on a well floured bench.

Defrost the spinach.

In a non stick pan gently fry the finely chopped onion till translucent.  Add garlic and fry till fragrant. Add the spinach and stir through well.

Remove from heat and add the fresh herbs & cumin seeds , and S & P. Now crumble the fetta & mix thoroughly.

Divide the dough into equal portions.

Spoon mixture onto each strip leaving enough room to fold the dough over onto itself.

Fold and make sure you seal.


Heat a non stick pan to medium and add a little oil.

Pan fry on each side for about 3-4 minutes or until lightly brown

Serve immediately.

I can. not. stop. listening to Nick Cave's latest album.
and particularly this song......man the dude still has it!
    

11 comments:

  1. Oh what exciting times at yours Ruth! Have fun with your parents and I hope the build goes super smooth. We are mad for gozleme so I'm looking forward to trying your filling x

    ReplyDelete
  2. they look fab, i'm going to try your pizza dough recipe, i've tried many and can't find the perfect one, maybe it will be yours x and a big shout out to you and your troup of little men, i've two, one started school and one started kinder this year, I honestly don't know how you do it but your boys sound like darlings x you are an inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gozleme, thank goodness you gave us your recipe, it takes me back to my ethnic roots
    Nick Cave, bah humbug too morbid for me, my bloke's fave muso, give me PJ instead, he is a genius...
    Have a great week GG with all you have on your plate

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum Ruth, can't wait to try these xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look gorgeous - thanks for this recipe. On the menu. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. That all sounds fantastic Ruth :) Our windows and doors are being fitted to our unfinished house as we speak- so nearly at lock up- finally!! Delirium!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a good week at your place Ruth- except the kindy settling & paying the bills part.
    Looking forward to seeing some reno pics too xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok...... So many good things about this post. Firstly - those pastry spinachy yummy things look fabulous. Going to give them a try. Go you with your Clogger to Jogger. Thats my next step once it starts to cool down up here. So hot at the moment so I'll stick with the swimming for now. THAT Pom Pom rug - thanks for sharing. There will be one or two of those happening around here. Definite love on that one. Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lady, we make our gozleme dough using greek yoghurt and plain flour. thats it! :) maybe a pinch of salt-but totally not necessary. works a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What size is the spinach packet you use? 1kg or 500g? I can buy both in the country I live in, not sure what is "normal" size in Australia. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou SO VERY much for making time to comment.

I LOVE to read your comments.

Just know that it totally made my day that you made a comment on my blog :)
xxx