Wednesday 27 November 2013

Being grateful for food

Every morning I cook eggs for breakfast.

Without fail, every time I crack the egg I am astonished.

Astonished by nature's clever tricks & beauty.

An egg.

So perfect in Form & Function.

The best of all fast foods.

Today as I cracked the egg I was thinking about how grateful I am to be able to eat such glorious perfect nutritious food.

More than anything it is the thing I try to teach my children in relation to food.

To be grateful.

We are so lucky in Australia to have access to amazing quality produce.

It can be easy to take it for granted.

To forget how it came to be on our table.

To close our eyes to the many many things that enabled it to be there on our plate.

It is really important to me that I have this conversation about food provenance with my children and often.

I encourage you to do the same.



4 comments:

  1. We totally need to eat more eggs for breakfast. For real. You're the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny you should post this today as yesterday & today I have been cracking eggs like mad making cake, omelettes,zucchini slice, french toast- it's egg-a-palooza round here! I have been lucky enough for the past few months to be enjoying eggs from my friends backyards chooks. I give her bunches of rainbow chard & silverbeet from my garden, she gives me 2 dozen eggs. Every time I crack an egg I am astounded & excited by the colour, such a rich, bright sunshine-y yellow. I love it, just love it!
    I try to grow a lot of our veg ( things are sloooooow this season). My 10 year old wanders the gardens with me, the baby strapped to my chest & we check how things are going. It's fun but the bigger my garden gets the harder it is to stay on top of it. The other night my 10 year old said to me "you like the hippy, farming life don't you mum? That's why we don't have things in packets & you make everything & grow food?" It made me realise it's all rubbing off, even without trying. It made me feel good that he pays attention to what I'm doing. There's still much more I could do ( I do still buy snack food in packs & get fruit & veg from the grocer) but I'm just so happy with the little steps I take :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes we do have the BEST food available to us in Oz and we should be very grateful ,my mother taught us this and i have passed it on to my children and hopefully when they have children they will do the same x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best fast food

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou SO VERY much for making time to comment.

I LOVE to read your comments.

Just know that it totally made my day that you made a comment on my blog :)
xxx