Thursday 5 December 2013

How to make Kimchi


The mere idea of cabbage- let alone cabbage fermented with lots of garlic is enough to send lot of people running.

Me, however...well Cabbage & Garlic are two of my absolute favourite ingredients.

Kimchi is a fermented dish from Korea.  It was invented, as many pickles were, to preserve the vitamins & minerals of vegetables over the long winter months.

It has been known to have been in production since the 7th century and only in the last few hundred to have had chilli added.

It uses a Korean chilli- a mild chilli so it is not too hot for the more gentle palate.

Most of us know only the Kimchi made with cabbage but anyone who eats at a Korean restaurant knows that Cabbage Kimchi is but a small part of the amazingly diverse repertoire of pickled vegetables in the Korean cuisine.

In my house it is a fight between me & my 13yo for the Kimchi jar.  And only very recently did I begin to make my own.  I love it with eggs, on burgers, stirred through soba noodles or most often just straight from the jar like a naughty child stealing the last hidden chocolates!


HOW TO MAKE KIMCHI:
NB: Korean chilli pepper can be found at Asian grocery stores (sometimes known as Aleppo pepper). It is mild and soft in texture and has an almost sweet aftertaste.
What you will need:

  • 1 Wombok cabbage.
  • 3 carrots, finely julienned.
  • 1 large bunch coriander
  • 2 tablespoons sea salt flakes
  • 1/4 cup raw sugar
  • 2 teaspoons fish sauce
  • 2 teaspoons light soy sauce
  • half a head of garlic, cloves peeled and chopped finely
  • 3cm piece of ginger, chopped finely
  • 3 teaspoon Korean chilli pepper flakes
Cut the Wombok cabbage in half and then again so it is in quarter wedges.
Now cut across the wedges into 3cm pieces.

Put into a large bowl with the finely julienned carrot and salt flakes and sugar.

Toss well, cover with cling film and refrigerate overnight.

Remove from fridge & rinse very well to remove salt.  Drain liquid from bowl.

Dry excess moisture (I used a salad spinner).

Place back in bowl with garlic, ginger, chopped fresh coriander, chilli powder, fish and soy sauces. 

Mix well and place into a sterile airtight jar.

Refrigerate and wait a couple of days before using.

Will keep for 2 weeks.

Not a new track but on high rotation in my kitchen this week. Sharon Van Etten is a treasure. 

3 comments:

  1. I love cabbage but I have never tried Kimchi but i am going to make this when i get some free time,Thank you so much for sharing Ruth x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! I've been dying to make this-now I have a great recipe for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm ashamed to say I've never had kimchi even though cabbage is my absolute fave veg! I really must rectify that right away!

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou SO VERY much for making time to comment.

I LOVE to read your comments.

Just know that it totally made my day that you made a comment on my blog :)
xxx